31 July 2009

A posting about Ancestry

Hello again readers. Today's posting is about ancestry.com.

I have found ancestry to be valuable in getting a hold of death certificates and making connections with others who are researching the same family names. Using ancestry has helped me gather some information that I didn't have.

However, you must still be careful with the information that is shared by others as it may not be completely accurate. For instance I had someone on ancestry try and tell me that a great great aunts maiden name was Gwaltney when it was indeed Parrish. She happened to marry another Parrish(not related) but when they were doing the research they were afraid someone might think they were related and so they had made up a last name for her.

Yes I have found back in the 1800's that sometimes indeed cousins married each other. Whether they knew they were cousins or not, I do not know. But then again when your cousins are the only people around for miles and miles, its bound to happen sooner or later that you end up marrying one of them.

So no matter where you get your information, double check it for accuracy. Trust me it will save you from getting a headache later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

85 year old married to 13 year old in 1935!!!

 Things that truly make my head and heart hurt when I see them.  I saw this in the 1940 census for Pactolus, Pitt County, North Carolina whe...